Friday, August 22, 2014

My least favourite pet...

I hate when I share a story with someone about a special moment or accomplishment and am met with unsolicited advice. Not only does that take away from the point of me sharing my happy news with you but it is an insult to my intelligence.

I am sure they mean well when trying to "guide me" but it feels more like I am being patronized. Like it isn't possible for me to comprehend what I should do next. The advice they give me is such common sense that I become easily irritated. It makes me want to respond with sarcastic and snarky remarks.

Me: "Look at this cool milestone I just reached!"
Person: "That's nice, but (insert unsolicited advice here)"
Me: "Oh, thank the heavens for your infinite knowledge! A lay person, like I, would have never been able to reach such a verdict on my own. I will be forever guided by your wisdom. Praise (insert name here)!"

It also makes me want to scream "NO SHIT!" 

I wasn't born yesterday. Not only that, but I have been on my own for a very long time now...without parents or family.  I have lost it all, overcome homelessness, and started my life over from scratch. I have learned many life lessons and have done quite an excellent job at getting to where I am today. All of which I have done without genius advice from others.

When I do feel like I could use some perspective I seek out those I respect, present my situation, and ask them for their input. After collecting multiple views on the matter I then take time to process it all and make the best decision for myself. I have learned how to be successful through the relationships I have built with those who are already successful, the relationships I have built with those I have seen go from "nowhere" to somewhere, and through taking every opportunity that comes my way. I have faced some of my greatest fears and challenges to become the person I am today. Those who know of my accomplishments and character never feel the need to change the focus of my achievements to what they think I should be doing. They celebrate with me and know I am more than capable of taking care of my business.

I know a part of this advice is given with good intentions. I have to appreciate that. I can't expect those people to know what is going on in my life in order for them to make a more informed remark about my situation. Only a handful of people know the entirety of what I am involved in and the path I am on. If everyone else knew, perhaps it would prevent verbal diarrhea.

And as you can probably tell if you have read this far, unsolicited advice, even when it comes from a good place, drives me up the freaking wall. Suffice it to say, this is a major pet peeve.


1 comment:

  1. It's nice that you're sharing this pet peeve, but you should try and heed the advice of others.

    ReplyDelete